POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Ringworld (continued) : Re: Ringworld (continued) Server Time
27 Apr 2024 13:49:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Ringworld (continued)
From: Stephen
Date: 7 Aug 2018 17:52:59
Message: <5b6a14bb$1@news.povray.org>
On 07/08/2018 20:28, Mike Horvath wrote:
> On 8/7/2018 7:09 AM, Stephen wrote:
>> That is the whole idea, I believe. ;)
>>
>> As for maths the area_light axis vectors should be doubled to 6.8 not 3.4
>> I was thinking radius as opposed to diameter.
>>

> You just reminded me that I used the sun radius instead of diameter for
> the area light axes.

I now feel better. ;)

> When instead using the diameter, I get some fuzziness but no real "night".

You don't have an "ambient" in there? (Before Clipka says anything. ;) )
> Sorry, Niven. Your math is bad.

Funnily enough, I did not notice that when I read the books. ;)
It is PovRay's fault. It is too realistic. :)

I think it is better to bring the shadow shields nearer the sun, for the
data I found.

This last image (I promise) using Alain's settings, has a stary
background to show that the night part of the ring is occluding the stars.

BTW Thanks for starting the thread. It has been a distraction for me
when I don't feel up to starting a new project.

--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message