POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Ringworld (continued) : Re: Ringworld (continued) Server Time
27 Apr 2024 16:45:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Ringworld (continued)
From: Stephen
Date: 7 Aug 2018 07:23:24
Message: <5b69812c$1@news.povray.org>
On 07/08/2018 12:07, Thomas de Groot wrote:
> On 7-8-2018 12:51, clipka wrote:
>> Am 07.08.2018 um 12:33 schrieb Stephen:
>>
>>> A close up of the terminator on the Ringworld.
>>> The area light does make a difference.
>>> Using
>>>   light_source {  // Light_Source2
>>>    < 0.000000, 0.000000, 0.000000 >, colour rgb
>>> <1.000,1.000,1.000>*1.500
>>>    area_light <3.400000,0.000000,0.000000>,
>>> <0.000000,3.400000,0.000000>,
>>> 23, 23
>>>
>>>    circular
>>>    orient
>>>    adaptive 5
>>
>> And it better does. You don't want the light to blink off
>> instantaneously - you do want some twilight time.
>>

> I agree. What I meant earlier was that, with the camera at /planetary/
> distances from the ring, the penumbra would hardly be visible. Up close,
> and more so on the ring surface, of course the penumbra matters.
> However, if the area_light is set while the camera is at a /planetary/
> distance, it will most probably be grossly exaggerated because otherwise
> you would not be able to see it properly in a render.

Do you mean that the penumbra would need to be exaggerated so it can be
seen?
I thought that too but when I created two big sticks located at opposite
sides of the star and clipping the same edge of a shadow square. The
divergence at the ring was quite large.
I might try moving the shadow square radius back to the quoted radius
and adjust the length of the shadow square to get equal day/night.
This image was taken from slightly beyond the other side of the ring and
above a bit.

--

Regards
     Stephen