POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : RMS Titanic : Re: RMS Titanic Server Time
1 Jun 2024 08:13:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: RMS Titanic
From: Alain
Date: 5 Aug 2018 11:05:40
Message: <5b671244$1@news.povray.org>
Le 18-08-05 à 03:42, Stephen a écrit :
> On 04/08/2018 01:55, Ton wrote:
>> Bedankt Thomas,
>>
>> I couldn't hink of another way of texturing. Afterwards you would have
>> to go
>> through all your sources, find the objects, and give them the texture.
>> Why not
>> immediately, and get it over with?
>>

> Commendable. :)
>
>> Thanks Stephen, it seems that yuo know about ships. I didn't know
>> those spheres
>> are called Kelvin's balls. So they are there for correcting the
>> magnetic field.
>> I'm learning every day doing this!
>>

> I think that they are only called Kelvin's balls in the UK.
>  From Wiki.
>
>> These are colloquially known as "Kelvin's balls"[1] in the UK, and
>> "navigator's balls" in the United States. Unlike most display
>> binnacles today, which have the balls painted red and green to
>> represent port and starboard side of the vessel, the balls shall be
>> painted black or have another uniform colour.
>
> It is just that I was brought up in a shipbuilding area. You could say
> that is in the blood. ;)
> I also spent a couple of years working as an ET, on semi-submersible oil
> rigs. They are classed as MVs.
>

>> Thanks Mike, I don't HAVE to sink her. Would be a shame....
>>

> I wouldn't. :)
>

>> So now I'll have to get my jig-saw, and make the holes in the raised
>> roof for
>> the windows.
>>
>> Cheers
>> Ton

Just seen a documentary on the Titanic.

When it left port, there was a coal fire in coal bunker 9, that spread
to bunker 10.
One of bunker 9 wall was also a bulkhead. The heat critically weakened
that bulkhead. It's the failure of that bulkhead that doomed the ship.
They had just enough fuel for the trip due to a coal miners strike.
The only way to deal with the fire was to use it or let it burn out.
This explain why the ship was going so fast, and why they did not divert
to a safer route. They had to go that way or run out of fuel before
reaching port.

The company was in a financial stranglehold and had to cut corners to
save on the building costs. They used lower quality, and thinner, steel
than in the blueprints. It's also known that the rivets where fragile.