POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : qtpovray-3.80.5 for Linux : qtpovray-3.80.5 for Linux Server Time
24 Apr 2024 20:04:27 EDT (-0400)
  qtpovray-3.80.5 for Linux
From: dick balaska
Date: 2 Aug 2018 17:51:02
Message: <5b637cc6$1@news.povray.org>
On 08/02/2018 12:23 PM, Bald Eagle wrote:
> dick balaska <dic### [at] buckosoftcom> wrote:
>> I have release v3.80.5
>
> So I'm assuming to update, I do some sort of sudo apt-get qtpovray kinda thing.

You pick it up with your regular updates. It will either find it in a
day or two or on Mint I typed "update" in the menu search widget to
bring up Update Manager. Click Refresh if it's not there already.

> I could also use a quick-start tip to get the extras, insert menu,  etc
> installed.

I'm not sure what you mean.  Tell me where you went that didn't help.

Basically, all roads lead to the qtpovray front page
http://www.buckosoft.com/qtpovray/
which the first thing is a "Download binaries" link
http://www.buckosoft.com/qtpovray/download/
which gives the three lines to install.

> Perhaps the "workspace" or whatever it's called could be made slightly more
> usable - I had to fight a bit to switch back and forth between my old Windows
> partition, and the new default povray scenes location.

The workspace is a paradigm shift for you. If'n you used eclipse, this
would be comfortable.  I'm willing to blow that out a bit to accommodate
y'all, i.e. render any file from any where.  I can't decide which way to
make the default. "Walled garden workspace" or "Free for all".  I'm
leaning towards the first one, that is modern Best Practice.

Sorry about the file locations.  That's just the way it is.  qtpovray on
Linux mirrors povray on Linux. /usr/share/qtpovray-3.8 is equivalent to
/usr/share/povray-3.7

> Other than that, the only thing I'd like to see is a short summary of frequently
> used command-line +/- options for rendering.  Just because it's a new
> environment, and sometimes it helps to see what works really well for others.

I agree.  There is a lack of search in the help; it's just web pages. I
had to look up the Mosaic Preview switch and it was a bit tedious.
I miss the povclipse2 ini editor
http://www.buckosoft.com/povclipse2/g/povclipse2_iniEditing_ImagePage.png
even though I hardly used it.  Maybe I'll write that again.

> With regard to Kenneth's recent query - can I select a portion of a render to
> have it re-rendered?  I haven't had a chance to do a lot over the past couple of
> days.

I missed that.  And that would be a povray (clipka) question. I would
guess "no".

--
dik
Rendered 328976 of 330000 (99%)