POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : dot-notation not allowed in functions? : Re: dot-notation not allowed in functions? Server Time
26 Apr 2024 02:55:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: dot-notation not allowed in functions?
From: clipka
Date: 31 Jul 2018 04:03:33
Message: <5b6017d5$1@news.povray.org>
Am 31.07.2018 um 06:56 schrieb Thorsten Froehlich:

> There is nothing to "fix" because this is not a bug. The function parser works
> exactly as designed and documented.
> The documentation is very clear about what is allowed in functions:
> http://www.povray.org/documentation/view/3.6.1/231/

Actually, no, it isn't, because...

> Obviously, the documentation describes only the finite set of allowed syntax
> elements, not the infinite set of not allowed syntax elements.

... obviously the syntax description itself is evidently broken (at
least in the v3.6.1 incarnation).

Most notably, `MOD_EXPRESSION` is used in `FACTOR`but isn't specified
anywhere.

Just to knock you off your perch.

That said, "as designed and documented" doesn't necessarily mean that
it's free from issues that might warrant fixing. It might just be that
there's a problem with the design.

And I for one would argue that that's indeed the case (presuming dot
notation has been excluded from functions by design rather than by
oversight). Because - evidently - this behaviour goes against user
expectations.