POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : RMS Titanic : Re: RMS Titanic Server Time
2 May 2024 10:40:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: RMS Titanic
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 2 Jul 2018 03:15:39
Message: <5b39d11b$1@news.povray.org>
On 2-7-2018 8:46, Stephen wrote:
> On 02/07/2018 01:35, Ton wrote:
>> A chimney and a smokestack is the same word in Dutch, schoorsteen,
>
> If you ask me that is just laziness. ;-)

"Gemetselde en beklede ondersteuning (schoor) van de rookvanger boven
een tegen de muur aangelegde stookplaats, de onderboezem voortzetting
van de schouw."

Which in English globally means 'a brickwork (= steen) support (=
schoor) for the chimney-flue above a fireplace laid out against a wall'.

I was suddenly interested in the etymology of the word, so that's why ;-)

By extension, the word was used for other usages like funnels. We Dutch
were smart enough not to need different words for different objects :-)

[ducks away, cackling]

>> so why does English need two words for it?
>
> Four words if you count the Yorkshire and Scottish word "lum" along with
> funnel.
> I had a look and could not quickly find an answer. Mu guess is usage.
> Smokestack tends to be used for industrial chimneys, chimney and lum
> more domestic and funnel for ships and steam trains.
>
>> Besides, I'm not a naval engineer, what do I know?
> And you are writing in a foreign language.
> I'm not either but I grew up in a shipbuilding area of Glasgow. So I
> heard these terms at my mother's knee. ;-)
>

>> I just like these old Atlantic liners.
>
> If you ever get the chance. You must visit the Riverside Museum. There
> are hundred of shipbuilder's models.
>
> https://youtu.be/PJklMw9OXhk
>
>> Here is an update. The fourth funnel still needs some work, but it is
>> all coming
>> along nicely.
>>

> It is indeed.

keep up the good work!