POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Focus Blur model : Re: Focus Blur model Server Time
26 Apr 2024 20:12:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Focus Blur model
From: clipka
Date: 19 Jun 2018 05:26:19
Message: <5b28cc3b$1@news.povray.org>
Am 19.06.2018 um 11:12 schrieb clipka:

> The `aperture` setting specifies the size of the camera aperture in
> scene units.

I'm just realizing that this statement is ambiguous. Strike "size" and
substitute "diameter".

> Further from the image center, POV-Ray's focal blur model becomes
> increasingly non-realistic: Rather than a plane of focus, POV-Ray's
> focal blur model actually has a sphere of focus, and the aperture is
> also modeled to have spherical symmetry.

Strike that entire paragraph; I was misinterpreting the source code.

The surface of focus is a plane perpendicular to the `direction` vector,
and the aperture is modeled to be circular, in a plane also
perpendicular to the `direction` vector [for the sake of focal blur;
POV-Ray does not account for the reduction in luminous intensity this
model would normally imply at high angles].