POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : no_image behaviour : Re: no_image behaviour Server Time
27 Apr 2024 01:04:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: no_image behaviour
From: clipka
Date: 17 Jun 2018 12:36:25
Message: <5b268e09$1@news.povray.org>
Am 17.06.2018 um 16:05 schrieb jr:

> I tried using the 'no_image' object modifier to achieve an effect where one
> (emissive) media filled container, hidden, is intersected by another, visible
> one.
>
> the documentation (3.4.5.5.7) says "..the object will not be seen...will still
> cast shadows, and show up in reflections.."
>
> I read this as: the object is still there but you can't see it.  apparently not,
> since the media filled container seems gone completely.  :-(
>
> the question then is how can I have an media filled container "out of view" but
> still interact with another, intersecting media filled container?

Your description of the desired effect is pretty vague: I understand
that you want an object to be "hidden" (whatever that means), yet
interact with some other visible object in /some/ (unspecified) manner,
but that's about it.

You're even talking about "intersecting" media containers, but your
sample scene only has a union.

As for the `no_image` keyword, marking an object in this manner will (or
at least is intended to) cause it to /not/ "be there" - i.e. have /no
effect whatsoever/ - in the context of primary rays, while still "being
there" in the context of secondary rays (e.g shadow computations and
reflections).