POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : FEATURE REQUEST: Reading HiRISE Format : Re: FEATURE REQUEST: Reading HiRISE Format Server Time
26 Apr 2024 04:32:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: FEATURE REQUEST: Reading HiRISE Format
From: clipka
Date: 16 Jun 2018 03:58:20
Message: <5b24c31c$1@news.povray.org>
Am 16.06.2018 um 02:48 schrieb Sven Littkowski:
> Here is a new feature request:
>
> Reading the HiRISE format.
>
> HiRISE
> This special format is used by orbiting Mars probes, and has a fantastic
> resolution, far better than any other topographic 3D format file that is
> currently available for Martian surfaces.
>
> POV-Ray
> The HiRISE images can be used to create an accurate heightfield that is
> also correctly textured.

Um... no, they can't.

- The HiRISE images are just that: Images. The spacecraft /per se/ does
not make measurements of topography.

- The HiRISE camera takes images in the ~500 nm, ~700 nm and ~900 nm
bands; that's blue-green, red, and infrared. That's /not/ RGB and
therefore /cannot/ capture the true surface colour.

I guess what you mean are HiRISE DTM (Digital Terrain Models)
/generated/ from the HiRISE data proper. From what I could find, the DTM
format is a "32-bit [...] PDS standard raster file format."

If you really want this to be implemented, you can help a lot by digging
on the internet for a detailed description of the file format;
unfortunately I don't have the time for that.