POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Restructured Parser wants Testing : Re: Restructured Parser wants Testing Server Time
6 May 2024 00:40:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Restructured Parser wants Testing
From: clipka
Date: 24 May 2018 09:37:11
Message: <5b06c007@news.povray.org>
Am 24.05.2018 um 14:19 schrieb Stephen:

> Looking at the temp graph. I see that one core is running about 5°C
> above the lowest. And yes if I deny that core to Pov then it does not
> throttle. I have set the throttling level at 89°C that is 6°C below the
> CPU shutdown level*. There is a distinct difference between 3.7 and 3.8.

If by "3.7" you mean v3.7.0, then a potential reason for such a
difference might arise from the build tools used: While POV-Ray v3.7.0
was built using Visual Studio 2010, more recent versions are built using
Visual Studio 2015. Differences in how the compilers optimize the code
may well result in differences in how heavily the CPU can be utilized.

In a similar vein, the hand-optimized noise generator implementations
may also play a role: While v3.7.0 could only utilize AVX/FMA4 for this
purpose, newer versions can also utilize AVX2/FMA3 as well as "pure" AVX
(and the AVX/FMA4 version has been improved).

TL;DU: There are plausible explanations why current versions of POV-Ray
may be utilizing your CPU more heavily (or at least differently) than
v3.7.0 did.