POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Restructured Parser wants Testing : Re: Restructured Parser wants Testing Server Time
1 May 2024 06:03:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Restructured Parser wants Testing
From: clipka
Date: 23 May 2018 14:05:30
Message: <5b05ad6a@news.povray.org>
Am 23.05.2018 um 19:31 schrieb Stephen:

>>> Sorry it does not use macros. It did but I de-constructed the grass
>>> macro it was using as it was declaring an array of meshes from within a
>>> while loop. [Watch the memory usage rise and the HDD thrash.]
>>
>> Hmm... then that begs the question, which change between v3.7.0 and
>> v3.8.0-alpha would have improved parsing speed?
>>

> You mean it is not deliberate? o_O

I don't recall having done anything to the parser between v3.7.0 and
v3.8.0-alpha with the intent to speed up parsing in general, with the
sole exception of macro caching. I hate the code, so it has never gotten
much love & care from me ;)

There /may/ have been side effects from a bit of code cleanup here and
there. But usually I've just given the parser more jobs to do.

>> Besides, what loop size are we talking about? Would that happen to be
>>> 64k characters in the loop body?
>>

> I am not too sure I understand.
>
> The loop size depends on the size of the target heightfield and the
> required density of the grass.

I mean the raw number of characters in the scene (or include) file, from
the `#while` or `#for` to the corresponding `#end`.

For example, the body of the following loop is 31 characters long:

    #for(I,0,100) #debug "Another iteration.\n" #end

> I thought you might ask for a copy and started to look at how many image
> maps it was using.
> It seems that when I was modifying the file manually I forgot to remove
> a couple of flower meshes. I had used in B3D. I cleaned it up and it is
> only 13500 lines now. And one heightfield image.
>
> If you still want a copy. I will post it.

Please go ahead. I'm curious which feature of the file makes
v3.8.0-alpha like it better than v3.7.0.