POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Reading things differently. : Re: Reading things differently. Server Time
18 Jun 2024 08:54:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Reading things differently.
From: clipka
Date: 17 May 2018 13:06:46
Message: <5afdb6a6$1@news.povray.org>
Am 17.05.2018 um 16:06 schrieb clipka:
> Am 17.05.2018 um 12:49 schrieb clipka:
>
>> Performance is another issue, with parsing of the benchmark scene still
>> taking about 40% longer, but I'm optimistic that I can trim that down
>> quite a bit.
>
> ... and already close to normal performance again: Difference on
> benchmark scene is now within measurement tolerances, while a 45M token
> mesh2-heavy scene is now just 8% slower than with the current GitHub
> master version.

Well, it gets better and better: I'm already 7% /faster/ now. And I
haven't even started on the optimizations I originally had in mind. So
far it's more or less a byproduct of the new dedicated scanner and
related refactoring.

I guess linear scenes won't get much improvement on top of this (at
least not as long as the parser remains single-threaded), but I'm pretty
sure I can do something about non-linear scenes.