POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : hilbert2d utility : Re: hilbert2d utility Server Time
17 May 2024 04:26:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: hilbert2d utility
From: jr
Date: 10 May 2018 14:46:09
Message: <5af49371@news.povray.org>
hi,

On 10/05/2018 06:33, Kenneth wrote:
>> which got me thinking, not hedge - building.  could your system be used
>> to "drape" a suitably scaled building shaped like in the attached
>> image*?  30+ floors, ideally.
>
> (I had to brush-up on my miniscule knowledge of Hilbert curves!)
> Is this what you have in mind, as the general idea?

that must be some brush.  :-)  very cool image, in essence what I have
in mind.  more below.

> This test image doesn't actually use height_fields for the vertical building
> faces; in fact, it's just a POV-Ray + Photoshop mock-up!

you use HFs to get balconies and such?

> Like you, I've been thinking about how to use my HF idea to make buildings with
> 'indented' sections. Not particularly in the shape of Hilbert curves, but the
> same general idea. *In theory*, it should be easy. The trick is to 'slice and
> dice' (and then rotate) the many vertically-oriented HF faces so that they all
> match up with no seams-- AND so that only full window sections are used. That
> particular problem is apparent in this mock-up image: some of the windows are
> cut off prematurely at the various building edges.

cannot comment really since I've no idea of details, but am curious to
learn more.  can I read slicing + dicing as using a tile-based method?

> But it should be easy to do; I just haven't gotten to that stage yet. (Real life
> keeps intruding.) Even a Hilbert-curve variety looks do-able; the equations for
> that could be used in some way to do the proper slicing/dicing of the HFs.

again, curious to find out a little more about the tool(s) in use.

On 10/05/2018 07:50, Thomas de Groot wrote:
> [shudder]
> I do not want to imagine what it would be like to live in a building
> like that! ;-)

oh dear.  :-)

it may get worse.  the setting I have in mind is in part inspired by
your scene with the house by/in the water.  ;-)

think science fiction. the building is not really that, it is the whole
city.  if the grid unit is 1km and the construction is, say, 400m wide
and 1600m tall, there's enough room for everything:
fishing/shipping/light industry, public + civil service stuff, internal
transport systems, and residential.  it stands just offshore, in shallow
waters.

jr.