POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : hilbert2d utility : Re: hilbert2d utility Server Time
2 May 2024 13:30:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: hilbert2d utility
From: Stephen
Date: 9 May 2018 17:35:12
Message: <5af36990$1@news.povray.org>
On 09/05/2018 21:13, Kenneth wrote:
> Stephen <mca### [at] aolcom> wrote:
>>
>> I have been playing with the spheresweep output. As I try to trace() a
>> grass landscape with a path of flowers following a Hilbert Curve.
>>

> Those images are really nice.

Thank you.

> Did you 'trace' all the green grass blades onto the object, or did you use some
> other less-involved trick?

  Every single one of them. If I remember correctly there are about 6
million  grass blades on the total target heightfield area. At that
density of grass. The render time was about 8 minutes. Mostly parsing.

  It really is a brute force method. One WIP had about 11E6 blades and I
was shutting down programs as the memory usage climbed.

The target could be anything. Here is a link to one I made in reply to a
friend who sent me a sarky cartoon.

*Rude word warning*

https://i.imgur.com/kvDzf4T.png

> I love the 'fuzzy' look of the grass, in the more distant render; it looks like
> the fuzz on a tennis ball; or maybe 'flocking.' At first, I thought it was an
> interesting use of crand!

Crand!
Crand? I like to think of myself as an animator. I never use crand. ;-)

The "look" is very dependant on the closeness of the view.

I'm going to try to plant flowers to make an image from a poster, next.

--

Regards
     Stephen