POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : SDL processing speed : Re: SDL processing speed Server Time
3 May 2024 20:31:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: SDL processing speed
From: clipka
Date: 25 Apr 2018 21:24:41
Message: <5ae12a59$1@news.povray.org>
Am 25.04.2018 um 23:25 schrieb Kenneth:

> And I'm guessing that anything in the macro over 64K-- any 'remainder bytes'--
> are not actually cached, although they are still a useful part of the macro and
> are still used later somehow, when the macro is invoked. (?)  Or does a macro
> have a HARD 64K limit, that can't be exceeded? (That's a lot of  bytes, of
> course!)

A macro is either cached in its entirety (in which case it is parsed
from memory when it is invoked), or it is not cached at all (in which
case it is parsed from file when it is invoked). The former is done if
the macro size is below the threshold of 64 kiB, while the latter is
done if the macros size is above the threshold.