POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : SDL processing speed : Re: SDL processing speed Server Time
4 May 2024 01:25:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: SDL processing speed
From: William F Pokorny
Date: 24 Apr 2018 07:06:06
Message: <5adf0f9e$1@news.povray.org>
On 04/23/2018 03:15 PM, Bald Eagle wrote:
> Well, that was educational and clarifies even more of the morass of issues
> you're dealing with to unravel the POV-Ray source code.
>
> Let me throw this out there:
>
> POV-Ray has some things like the parametric that can be "precomputed".

For reference a related github issue mentioned in a prior thread or two:

https://github.com/POV-Ray/povray/issues/313

"Proposal for easy generation of SDL code from within SDL."

---
I see a few ways to improve performance after which not much is easy.

Someone posted a program to 'shorten/strip?' comments after an earlier
parser performance discussion. Where SDL is easy to parse(1) suppose not
too hard to extend such a program to create unique IDs and substantially
compress the SDL text which you'd then include in your scene. Sort of an
auto SDL for short-code contest generator(2).

Bill P.

(1) Unfortunately not true once higher level program constructs exist in
the SDL...
(2) Except it would create flat/unrolled output from loops.