POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : SDL processing speed : Re: SDL processing speed Server Time
19 Apr 2024 01:13:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: SDL processing speed
From: Le Forgeron
Date: 21 Apr 2018 12:38:51
Message: <5adb691b$1@news.povray.org>
Le 21/04/2018 à 17:03, Bald Eagle a écrit :
> I'm well aware that there are complaints about speed, and the topics of parallel
> processing and gpu have been addressed.
> I'm also aware that SDL is not a compiled language.
> This is a legitimate inquiry (sprinkled with White whine) to further educate
> myself and the non-POV-team/developer community.
>

> Just for my own information, I'm wondering why POV-Ray is so painfully slow to
> process non-rendering information (parse time).
>
> I'm asking, because I converted some of Paul Nylander's Mathematica code for the
> reaction-diffusion algorithm to SDL, and although I knew beforehand that it has
> a fair amount of looping through a 'large' array (160x120), I was still somewhat
> amazed and dismayed that it was as slow as it was.
>
> This is thrown into even starker contrast when I run the reaction-diffusion code
> from Coding Challenge into Processing - which somehow manages to crank out
> results on a 700 x 500 grid at 60 frames per second (that's what's in the code,
> and the default speed - no idea if this is actual)
> I'm pretty sure Processing is as high a level language as SDL, and it's not
> compiled... so what IS the difference?
>
> Is there some sort of bottleneck or fundamental reason that the programmatic
> handling of data is so slow in comparison to other languages?
>
> Thanks

1. I do not know.
2. I'm ready to help, I already have a debug version (with symbols in
code) of povray and a profiling tool that does not slow down too much
(not valgrind)
3. Please provide a scene that you find slow to parse (it must be
possible to render it, please, so that I get something to see, it does
not have to be nice)

Combining 2 & 3, we might get some insight.

This is a time limited offer.