POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Crackle pattern values : Re: Crackle pattern values Server Time
5 May 2024 05:13:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Crackle pattern values
From: William F Pokorny
Date: 19 Apr 2018 10:10:17
Message: <5ad8a349$1@news.povray.org>
On 04/17/2018 06:50 PM, Bald Eagle wrote:
> And, despite the fog of fatigue, I managed to work it out bit by bit today.
>
> The issue is that POV-Ray defines a default pigment_map for certain patterns,
> and in order to get a normal "full-spectrum" pigment_map, you have to define one
> to override the default.

> pigment {
>          wood
>   pigment_map {
>    [0.00 rgb 0]
>    [1.00 rgb 1]
> }
>
> Which neatly solved the problem.
>
> {Whew.}
>
> And now, for your enjoyment and edification:

Thanks for digging through the details here. I was traveling and I'm
just seeing your recent posts. Could I get a copy of your SDL for the
'all/most' patterns post prior to this last one? The one with the
pattern names to the left and the patterns shown to the right.

What you say about POV-Ray often defining a default color/pigment 0-1
map is true. At the moment I am a little surprised wood's default map
isn't what you defined. Some patterns, like agate(1), are other than
above - but why would wood's be?

I'll put this on my to look at list and let it rattle around in my head
meanwhile.

Bill P.

(1) WAY down my list is another question whether the agate map
needs/needed a tweak due the 3.7 assumed_gamma default change... I know
brick's color_map defaults for example did not get adjusted and the
default colors don't look that good running at an assumed_gamma of 1.0.
Not many folks use the in-built defaults in practice I suppose, and they
can always override with their own maps; Excepting maybe agate where to
my recollection something extra was going on I didn't understand in a
quick look.