POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : INVITATION: Join the Mississippi Paddle-Wheel Steamer! : Re: INVITATION: Join the Mississippi Paddle-Wheel Steamer! Server Time
25 May 2024 22:30:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: INVITATION: Join the Mississippi Paddle-Wheel Steamer!
From: Alain
Date: 12 Apr 2018 14:03:04
Message: <5acf9f58@news.povray.org>

> Yes, all of what you are stating, is true - and already in progress. Hay
> - I started to work on a WHILE that places thin yellow cylinders in the
> rectangular area of the perch.
>
> My main concern right now, however, is to get the textures right. The
> grain visibility of the brown and yellow painted woods is how I want it,
> but the directions cause me headache. I might have to develop a texture
> for each direction, lots of rewriting. At the moment, the texture is
> TRANSLATED randomly to avoid repeating patterns.
>
> Another thing I really want to do is to apply some nice surface
> reflections to the lumber, like those you see in these two attached,
> wonderful images that are the result of other POV-Ray artists. A
> challenge is that since I use a RANDOM TRANSLATE for the wood grain, I
> need to apply the same values for the TRANSLATE inside the FINISH
> statement. Lots of rewriting...
>
> The deck texture is going to be a real hardship. I want to use a
> modified BRICK pattern, where a wood texture is replacing the red brick
> texture. That's the easy part and done already. But I also need to find
> a way, to randomly TRANSLATE each texture INSIDE each brick to avoid
> that the grain continues from brick field to brick field. That's my
> challenge now. I opened already, days ago, another thread where I was
> talking about this challenge.
>

> ---

> http://www.avg.com

The first use isosurfaces for each plank.
Here is the code for the planks (not mine):
/* --------------------------
IRTC Entry fractals: 0007
WWW:
Title: Oops, I dropped it on the floor!
Author: Juha Nieminen
   Since I'm not artistically very talented nor I know too much about
making fractals,
   I resorted to a cheap trick: Photorealism (or sort of). Perhaps that
will give me a vote or two... :)
   The object itself is naturally a (3D slice of a) 4D julia fractal.
Nothing unconventional per se,
   and not really fancy in itself, but when used in a proper scene with
some photorealistic effects
   (lighting, floor shape and texture, focal blur) it looks like a cool
mole of metal.
---------------------------*/

union
{ #declare Seed = seed(0);
   #declare Ind = -1;
   #while(Ind < 16)
     object { Plank translate<-8+2*Ind, 0, -10*rand(Seed)> }
     #declare Ind = Ind+1;
   #end
   texture// Base wood texture
   { pigment
     { wood color_map
       { [0 rgb <.8,.5,.3>][.5 rgb <.7,.45,.2>][1 rgb <.65,.4,.2>]
       }
       turbulence .5
       scale <1,1,10>
     }
     finish { specular albedo .8 reflection { 1 fresnel } }
     normal
     { average normal_map
       { [1 bumps .4 scale <.1, .1, 1>]
         [1 dents 1 scale .1]