POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Light and dark : Re: Light and dark Server Time
20 Apr 2024 09:51:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Light and dark
From: Mike Horvath
Date: 6 Apr 2018 14:15:51
Message: <5ac7b957$1@news.povray.org>
On 4/6/2018 1:59 PM, Mike Horvath wrote:
> On 4/6/2018 1:20 PM, Mike Horvath wrote:
>> I'm trying to capture a shadow of an object that I will later process
>> in GIMP. I want the shadow to be perfectly black, and the rest of the
>> image to be perfectly white. (A bit of anti-aliasing is fine.)
>>
>> How can I accomplish this? I have a white plane, but it ends up
>> slightly darker than white. Also, the shadow is a bit lighter than black.
>>
>> Thanks!
>>

>> Mike
>

> Disregard.
>
> I set the background to 0 and the white plane's diffuse to 2, and I am
> getting desired results now.
>

> Mike

I discovered a problem with increasing diffuse past 1.

At high diffuse values (for instance `diffuse 200`), the border of the
shadow is no longer "fuzzy" with some gray pixels as a result of
anti-aliasing. Instead, the border is extremely sharp, with black
bordering directly on white.

So I changed the diffuse of the white plane from `2` to `1/sind(60)`,
where `60` is the angle of the light source above the plane.

Not sure if this is the correct workaround, mathematically.

Mike