POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Help ! : Re: Help ! Server Time
26 Jun 2024 08:46:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Help !
From: Alain
Date: 5 Apr 2018 17:09:43
Message: <5ac69097@news.povray.org>
Le 18-04-05 à 13:09, kurtz le pirate a écrit :
> Le 03/04/2018 à 19:04, kurtz le pirate a écrit :
>
> Sorry about that clumsy subject et thank you for your comments.
>
> Some points :
>   - yes, the torus shape is an isosurface.
>   - the floor currently uses
>      finish {
>          ambient 0.00
>          emission 0.10
>          diffuse 0.80
>          reflection { 0.05 fresnel on }
>          specular 0.90
>          roughness 1/20
>          }
>      normal {
>          wrinkles 0.40
>          scale 2
>          }
> - a wooden surface and even better isowood surface, i had already
> thought about it...
> - no radiosity but area lights
>
> - sharing the source code ? yes, great idea Sven.
> I'll work on my code a little to make it "presentable."
>
> Here, a new test with photon. Same floor :(
>
> See you soon

Don't forget that fresnel demand that you also set an interior with an IOR.
If you don't define an IOR, it default to 1, the same as empty space.
If there is no difference in the IORs, then, there is NO fresnel
relfection at all. Fresnel reflection is governed by the change of IOR
at the surfece of the object.

Using reflection{1 fresnel} is the most realistic. After that, the IOR
of the object will affect the effective maximum reflection as well as
it's minimal level.
If the IOR is very low, like 1.01, you'll get barely any reflection at
all, even at the most grazing angles.
If the IOR is very large, like 10, then, even when looking at the
surface perpendicularly, you'll get a large amount of reflection.