POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : N (Captain Nemo) revisited : Re: N (Captain Nemo) revisited Server Time
5 May 2024 02:51:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: N (Captain Nemo) revisited
From: Ive
Date: 21 Mar 2018 09:07:48
Message: <5ab25924$1@news.povray.org>
Am 3/21/2018 um 13:11 schrieb Thomas de Groot:
> I agree for the vegetation, maybe the wheel, not really for the bricks.
> However, my question would be: where does over-saturation come from?

Gamma! In the ancient time of MegaPOV and its unawareness of gamma
handling you as the user had to tweak scene colors and lighting to
compensate for the resulting inconsistency. Now with proper gamma
handling but some of these *tweaks* making it over results in
over-saturation and slightly hue shifts - as to be expected.

> It is strange. The original is - imo - strongly under-saturated.

Yes, I agree - saturation is certainly also a matter of taste -
personally I can live with under-saturation better than with
over-saturation.

> Hmmm... I don't know how to achieve that...

Contemporary versions of Photoshop and Lightroom do this auto-magical,
older version if you told them to do so and I'm under the assumption
this is also true for other software like Gimp or Paintshop. I do not
use the latter so maybe I'm wrong?

-Ive