POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : N (Captain Nemo) revisited : Re: N (Captain Nemo) revisited Server Time
5 May 2024 04:38:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: N (Captain Nemo) revisited
From: Ive
Date: 21 Mar 2018 06:52:08
Message: <5ab23958$1@news.povray.org>
Am 3/20/2018 um 8:43 schrieb Thomas de Groot:
> Once in a while, I like to revisit an older scene and remodel it to
> current standards and my changing insights and skills. I did this lately
> with my entry to the TC-RTC back in 2008: "N". I still want to change
> some elements but the comparison over ten years of using POV-Ray are
> notable. Left, is the entry of 2008; right, the new version.

Sorry, but overall I do prefer the original.
The new version seems quite over-saturated, especially the vegetation,
the bricks and the wheel.
While the new camera view is nice it has the unfortunate side effect
that two birds of the flock are very close to the top border and this
hurts the composition.

And a general note to everybody who's posting images to theses
newsgroups: please make sure your JPEG image contains a ICC profile.
Since about 2 months Firefox and Thunderbird have full color management
enabled by default. Chrome and Opera do the same since quite a while,
only IE and Edge don't - but who uses them anyway?
Every contemporary mid-range monitor has a wider color gamut than sRGB,
the one I use even wider than Adobe RGB - and I can assure you, the
difference is NOT subtle.
When I want to make sure to view an image as intended I have to do a few
additional steps and as I'm lazy I usually don't care. As color
management only kicks in for images with ICC profiles I have to save the
image to my local disk and check *if* it contains a profile and if not
use my own image viewer that correctly assumes for images without
profile to be in sRGB and transforms them correctly to my viewing device
profile.

-Ive