POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : shattered certainties : Re: shattered certainties Server Time
27 Apr 2024 11:13:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: shattered certainties
From: William F Pokorny
Date: 19 Mar 2018 14:03:29
Message: <5aaffb71@news.povray.org>
On 03/15/2018 05:53 PM, Norbert Kern wrote:
> Alain <kua### [at] videotronca> wrote:
>
> You are right with the intervals 1 issue.
> If it wasn't a Gilles Tran code, i'ld have checked more carefully...
>
> Meanwhile I rendered with intervals 1 and samples 70.
> It's not faster, but the result is slightly better.

Thanks for running again this way and reporting the speed! Your result
lines up with my recent experience and what I see in the media code as
I've been trying to digest it. In the code, intervals and samples end up
both combining to drive the number of initial samples taken.

If you need 70 initial samples to resolve the smaller/rapid changes in
your cloud or your shadows - you need them - no matter the intervals /
samples combination to get them and the performance won't be much
different due the initial specification. In some ways needing a higher
number of initial samples with a media is like needing a high
max_gradient value with isosurfaces due the function used.

In any case, intervals 1 is the way to go with method 3 for quality
always - and often enough the 'density/shadow function' will be such
that the adaptive method 3 with intervals 1 and a low samples setting is
much, much faster.

Bill P.