POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : shattered certainties : Re: shattered certainties Server Time
28 Apr 2024 03:44:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: shattered certainties
From: William F Pokorny
Date: 19 Mar 2018 13:31:23
Message: <5aaff3eb$1@news.povray.org>
On 03/15/2018 06:01 PM, Norbert Kern wrote:
> William F Pokorny <ano### [at] anonymousorg> wrote:
>>
>> I got a couple small renders done yesterday - with and without the
>> emission - and compared them. At a high level adding in emission the
>> color of the background sky makes the clouds look as if they are sitting
>> in a hazy atmosphere without having modeled the hazy atmosphere. See the
>> attached image.
>>
>> The difference image on the right shows an aspect or pitfall of the
>> method - depending on one's goal I suppose. Once one or more color
>> channels for the media 'interval' being sampled is maxed out (Red here),
>> you get a 'disjoint' color-hue change in the media due the emission
>> adder.

> Interesting. I wouldn't have thought the effect of small emission value is that
> strong. I've to do more tests...
>
> Norbert

Sorry slow - busy with real life.

Emission is stronger by nature because the emission intensity increases
with depth of media. If you want to 'sort of' match a scattering
intensity with an emission media, you have to add absorption at about
the same value as the emissive value (1).

I've always used scattering+absorption, emission+absorption or
emission+scattering. Never all three - intentionally at least - as
Gilles did here (2).

Bill P.

(1) - An idea on my to play with list is some method to pre-render or
pre-calculate scattering with attenuation media so as to be able to
create a faster emission+absorption or a scattering without attenuation
+ absorption media model for use in follow-on renders.

(2) - I've wondered some recently about whether POV-Ray should support
two absorption specifications given Gilles technique looks useful.