POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Last Year In Birmingham : Re: Last Year In Birmingham Server Time
29 Apr 2024 01:02:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Last Year In Birmingham
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 15 Mar 2018 03:57:13
Message: <5aaa2759$1@news.povray.org>
On 14-3-2018 16:35, Ive wrote:
> Am 3/13/2018 um 8:53 schrieb Thomas de Groot:
>> Ive has first to deliver his secrets about skin modelling, otherwise I
>> veto the election. :-)
>>

> No secret at all.
>
> First step was a series of portrait photographs - front, both sides and
> sides at 45°). As my wife is a semi-professional photographer this was
> the quick part.
> Then a setup for Blender with 6 orthographic cameras where these
> photographs are properly projected on 6 planes and the transparency of
> the planes can be adjusted as desired.
>
> The basic mesh is the Genesis 8 model (available for free from Daz3D),
> it has surprisingly few polygons but is designed to work extremely well
> with subdivisions.
> This mesh was exported to Blender with the above setup and I started to
> move vertices around until the its shape did match the photographic
> outlines in all 6 views.
> Next step: subdivision of the mesh and modeling of the most dominant
> "valleys" and "hills" - here comes the transparency in handy as the
> photos give a nice guideline.
> Next step: subdivide again and model the less dominant "valleys" and
> "hills".
> Repeat until satisfied and/or the mesh becomes so GB heavy that it
> starts to be a nightmare to handle.
>
> This could be done with the whole body to create a digital double but I
> didn't do that.
>
> Then I did import this mesh into DAZ-Studio and copied the rigging from
> the original Genesis 8 to this new figure and had a fully posable
> digital copy of myself ;)
> But some expressions do look really scary as e.g. the rigging of the
> mouth does not match the way the muscles of the real me do behave.
>
> -Ive

Ah ha! Thank you for this glance into the kitchen! I still wonder how
you got the smallest skin details, especially the pore structure visible
for instance on lower jaw or neck, enhanced by the back lighting.

In any case, this is a tremendous achievement. I like doing detailed
modelling but you have far surpassed what my own patience would allow me
to do. :-)

--
Thomas