POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : shattered certainties : Re: shattered certainties Server Time
4 May 2024 23:26:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: shattered certainties
From: Alain
Date: 13 Mar 2018 17:34:33
Message: <5aa843e9@news.povray.org>

> Hi William,
>
> scene took about 5 days to render with 8000*4500 pixels.
> This worked because I divided the job in three parts - the clouds, a render with
> low radiosity settings (clouds as image_map) and a part render of the head with
> high radiosity settitngs.
>
> The clouds are df3 media ones by Gilles Tran - see
> http://www.oyonale.com/modeles.php?lang=en&page=36 . He also presented there a
> brief summary of the available methods to create clouds in POV-Ray.
> My only contribution are extreme coloring and a high Intervals value (7 instead
> of 2-5).
>
> I put a reduced scene file to pbs-f.
>
> Norbert

Taking a better look at your clouds' media:
Using intervals 7 is absolutely killer for the render time.
Default is : intervals 1
You should never change that value!

You use the default samples value of 10, which is OK as a starting
point. Increase if needed.

If you need more precision, you should always increase the samples
value, never the intervals value.

Don't forget that, if you use 2 values for the samples count, the second
value is always silently ignored.

In this case, using :
intervals 1// default value
samples 100

Your media would have been about 10 times faster to render.
So, I'd expect a render time between 12 and 24 hours, and have better
quality for the media.

In your Tree() macro, you only get a single sample because you use
samples 1,1. The default is samples 10.
That sample is taken at, or near, the mid point through the container.