POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : pattern blend : Re: pattern blend Server Time
18 May 2024 22:03:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: pattern blend
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 6 Mar 2018 02:40:49
Message: <5a9e4601@news.povray.org>
On 5-3-2018 14:46, clipka wrote:
> Am 05.03.2018 um 14:27 schrieb Bald Eagle:
>> This is a great tool - one that is obvious in retrospect, but I had never
>> thought of.
>>
>> It's great that it's possible to save an image with a certain gamma and then use
>> it as a height field, but the obvious question that affects the real utility of
>> this is:
>>
>> Is it possible to READ the existing, non-gamma modified image in using a certain
>> gamma value for use in a height field?
>>
>> So, for example, use TdG's gamma 1.0 image to generate his gamma 2.2 height
>> field?
>
> Well, yes, absolutely: In the height field, just specify "gamma FLOAT"
> after the image file name.
>
> I think you need to specify "gamma 1/2.2" for the intended effect.
>
> There may be slight differences due to different rounding, but other
> than that it should work just fine.

And that is exactly what I did above; I see that I generated some
confusion with BaldEagle :-) The - single - original height_field image
has an unknown (to me) gamma. It is in POV-Ray that I declare the gamma
value to use, like Clipka said [code snippet]:

   pigment {
     image_map {
       tga "Apophysis_06_hfisland.tga" gamma 2.2 //or 1.1
       map_type 0
       interpolate 2
     }
   }