POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : pattern blend : Re: pattern blend Server Time
3 May 2024 05:56:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: pattern blend
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 5 Mar 2018 07:55:58
Message: <5a9d3e5e@news.povray.org>

http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.images/thread/%3C48295282%40news.povray.org%3E/

> :-)
>

>> BTW, re: the discussion there of 'bending the slopes of
>> height_fields': It can
>> be done in an alternate way now, using POV-Ray's 'blend gamma'
>> feature-- i.e.,
>> by purposely changing the gamma of the image that's used to make the
>> HF. That
>> effectively changes the otherwise 'linear' slope of HF contours to
>> more of a
>> curve. For example, HF mountains made this way look more natural to my
>> eye--
>> like the mountain's slopes have naturally eroded. (There's also a HF
>> difference
>> between images SAVED at different gamma values, for the same reason--
>> 1.0 being
>> a linear slope, 2.2 being more of a curve.)
>>

> Indeed. That is something I never really used purposefully but which you
> do well to remind me of. Thanks!
>
> I shall make a small test scene. A way for me to remember stuff.

Like this. Left, image gamma is 1.0; right, image gamma is 2.2.

--
Thomas

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'hf_test_image gamma.png' (132 KB)

Preview of image 'hf_test_image gamma.png'
hf_test_image gamma.png