POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : abyss.pov media study. : Re: abyss.pov media study. Server Time
2 May 2024 00:06:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: abyss.pov media study.
From: clipka
Date: 24 Feb 2018 22:09:40
Message: <5a9228f4$1@news.povray.org>
Am 24.02.2018 um 21:20 schrieb Kenneth:

>> I see your 208 minutes director's cut and raise you the 309 minutes TV
>> miniseries.
>
> A miniseries?! I didn't know. On German/European television, I assume?

Curiously enough, the miniseries aired on BBC (with English subtitles)
even before hitting German TV.

> So was it the same 208 minute movie with 101 minutes of commercials? :-P That's
> probably what would happen here in the States, and it would then be advertised
> as 'a miniseries', ha.

Nope - 101 additional minutes of genuine content. Back in those days, we
didn't have any commercial breaks during TV shows anyway, and IIRC the
miniseries was first broadcast on the regional channels, which didn't
even have commercials between shows.

"Das Boot" had been partly funded by two of the German regional radio/TV
institutions, WDR and SDR, and from all I know production had been
geared toward two versions right from the start - the comparatively
short action-heavy cineastic version, and the elaborate 5-hour TV
miniseries attempting to capture the entire U-Boat experience.

I /think/ I heard tell that they even used a dual camera setup, one
camera for the TV shots and one for the cineastic shots. But I might be
confusing that with some other TV/cinema dual production.