POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : HDR and brightness : Re: HDR and brightness Server Time
26 Apr 2024 14:29:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: HDR and brightness
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 24 Feb 2018 07:16:02
Message: <5a915782@news.povray.org>
On 24-2-2018 13:01, Thomas de Groot wrote:
> On 24-2-2018 12:09, Mike Horvath wrote:

>>> Yes, you can save as high dyamic range image. Just need to add +fe
>>> (*.exr) or +fh (*.hdr) to the command line. Then, there is no clipping.
>>
>> I wonder if it would be easier to render my sky and fluffy clouds
>> once, and then include it in subsequent renders as HDRI.
>>

> I would not do that if I were you. The fine details of the sky/cloud
> structures would be lost. The resolution of the sky dome is not that
> good and those images are not intended for crisp backgrounds but for
> (global) illumination.

er.... I might contradict myself here because I may have misunderstood
what you intend to do :-)

If you intend to build a spherical sky probe to be used as hdri/exr sky
spheres in later scenes, then yes by all means, do that with a spherical
camera. However, be aware of my comment above at the same time. I attach
an example scene I made years ago to show what that means.

--
Thomas

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'hdri_test1_mp_mt7.jpg' (35 KB)

Preview of image 'hdri_test1_mp_mt7.jpg'
hdri_test1_mp_mt7.jpg