POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Chromadepth scaling to model : Re: Chromadepth scaling to model Server Time
12 May 2024 17:07:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Chromadepth scaling to model
From: Mike Horvath
Date: 20 Feb 2018 05:44:41
Message: <5a8bfc19$1@news.povray.org>
On 2/20/2018 4:50 AM, Mike Horvath wrote:
>> On 19-2-2018 17:13, Kenneth wrote:
>>> So, I finally coded-up my idea, and it does indeed put the 'center'
>>> color of the
>>> color_map across the center of the object. That part works, at least.
>>> But the
>>> color pattern's 'limits' on the object have a problem: the color
>>> spread doesn't
>>> extend all the way across. So far, after several days of trying to
>>> figure out
>>> why, I still don't have a clue. I tried changing *every* parameter in
>>> the code,
>>> but no luck-- although there's probably a hidden 'clue' in those trials.
>>>
>>> So, I had to resort to some fudge-factors as well :-/
>>
>> As far as I know from docs and/of previous discussions, min_extent and
>> max_extent do not give the /exact/ extent of the object. So, I am not
>> really surprised you need a fudge factor...
>>

> LDraw models all have bounding boxes defined during the conversion
> process. I will try and see if I still need any fudge factors after
> plugging those values in instead of min_extent and max_extent.
>

> Mike

I attached the macros I created based on your code. However, it still
requires some labor on the user's part, since the camera could be
located anywhere, and not necessarily closest to the minimum extent or
farthest from the maximum extent, etc. There needs to be some way to
automatically determine which of the bounding box's 8 corners is the
closest and which is the farthest from the camera.

Mike

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'utf-8' (2 KB)