POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Blurred reflection comparison : Re: Blurred reflection comparison Server Time
6 May 2024 00:11:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Blurred reflection comparison
From: clipka
Date: 18 Feb 2018 21:54:38
Message: <5a8a3c6e$1@news.povray.org>
Am 19.02.2018 um 03:07 schrieb Mike Horvath:
> On 2/18/2018 8:03 PM, clipka wrote:
>> Make sure that your materials have an `interior { ior FLOAT }` setting.
>> For LEGO materials, I recommend a value of 1.6.
>>
>> When `fresnel` is set to `on`, the intensity of reflections not only
>> depends on the viewing angle, but also on the ratio between the
>> refractive index of the material and the refractive index of the medium
>> around (typically the "atmosphere", which has an ior of 1.0). The more
>> this ratio deviates from 1.0, the stronger the reflections will be.
>>
>> By default, POV-Ray materials have an IOR of 1.0.
>>

> Thanks, that worked. Would you be willing to take a look at each of the
> different LDraw materials? Currently, there are about 7 different ones,
> I think.

Dunno. Let me know what those materials are, and I'll try to give
recommendations.

I don't currently have the time to set up some LDraw->POV-Ray workflow
myself.

As mentioned before, LEGO's standard opaque plastic has a refractive
index of about 1.6, which also happens to be a good approximation for
LEGO's standard transparent plastic (both clear and tinted).