POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Blurred reflection comparison : Re: Blurred reflection comparison Server Time
5 May 2024 17:25:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Blurred reflection comparison
From: Mike Horvath
Date: 18 Feb 2018 18:16:30
Message: <5a8a094e@news.povray.org>

https://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?/forums/topic/159291-pov-ray-surface-realism/

>> I asked on Eurobricks which is the most realistic image? I will also ask
>> here. Which do you think look the most like real LEGO bricks?
>
> I find it difficult to judge, as I'm not used to such large LEGO models.
> I'd consider a closeup helpful.
>
> Another tip you may or may not already be aware of: For best realism,
> make sure to use a modern (v3.7.1/v3.8.0) version of POV-Ray, and make
> use of the finish-level `fresnel` statement, e.g.:
>
>      #declare MyLegoMaterial = material {
>        interior { ior 1.6 }
>        texture {
>          pigment { ... }
>          finish {
>            ambient 0
>            diffuse albedo DIFF
>            specular albedo SPEC roughness ROUGH
>            fresnel on
>            reflection { SPEC fresnel on }
>            conserve_energy on
>          }
>          normal { ... }
>        }
>      }
>
> Presuming you're using normal-based blurred reflections, DIFF and SPEC
> should probably be exactly 1.0 each(!), and ROUGH should be very low
> (e.g. 0.0001).
>
> Setting the finish-level `fresnel` parameter to `on` causes both the
> diffuse component and specular highlights to vary with the viewing angle
> in a realistic manner, making specular highlights more pronounced at
> shallow angles (just like reflection-level `fresnel on` does for
> specular reflection), while reducing the diffuse component's brightness
> accordingly (just like `conserve_energy` does for transmitted light).

Thanks for the tip. However, I changed the finish to this:

#local ldrawPlasticFin=finish {
  ambient			0
  diffuse albedo		1
  specular albedo	1
  roughness			0.0001
  fresnel			on
  reflection {1 fresnel on}
  conserve_energy
};

Now I see no reflections at all on the bricks.

Mike