POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Blurred reflection comparison : Re: Blurred reflection comparison Server Time
5 May 2024 21:36:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Blurred reflection comparison
From: clipka
Date: 18 Feb 2018 07:00:09
Message: <5a896ac9$1@news.povray.org>

https://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?/forums/topic/159291-pov-ray-surface-realism/

> I asked on Eurobricks which is the most realistic image? I will also ask
> here. Which do you think look the most like real LEGO bricks?

I find it difficult to judge, as I'm not used to such large LEGO models.
I'd consider a closeup helpful.

Another tip you may or may not already be aware of: For best realism,
make sure to use a modern (v3.7.1/v3.8.0) version of POV-Ray, and make
use of the finish-level `fresnel` statement, e.g.:

    #declare MyLegoMaterial = material {
      interior { ior 1.6 }
      texture {
        pigment { ... }
        finish {
          ambient 0
          diffuse albedo DIFF
          specular albedo SPEC roughness ROUGH
          fresnel on
          reflection { SPEC fresnel on }
          conserve_energy on
        }
        normal { ... }
      }
    }

Presuming you're using normal-based blurred reflections, DIFF and SPEC
should probably be exactly 1.0 each(!), and ROUGH should be very low
(e.g. 0.0001).

Setting the finish-level `fresnel` parameter to `on` causes both the
diffuse component and specular highlights to vary with the viewing angle
in a realistic manner, making specular highlights more pronounced at
shallow angles (just like reflection-level `fresnel on` does for
specular reflection), while reducing the diffuse component's brightness
accordingly (just like `conserve_energy` does for transmitted light).