POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : is PHASE working backwards? : Re: is PHASE working backwards? Server Time
3 May 2024 18:11:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: is PHASE working backwards?
From: Alain
Date: 13 Feb 2018 19:16:46
Message: <5a837fee$1@news.povray.org>
Le 18-02-13 à 06:29, Bald Eagle a écrit :
>> Am 13.02.2018 um 03:40 schrieb Bald Eagle:
>>
>>> It seems to be rotating the pattern in the counterclockwise direction.
>>> It would handy to know that phase is in radians instead of degrees as well.
>>
>> That's only true for the radial pattern, and AFAIK only for unit frequency.
>>
>> In other patterns, phase has entirely different effects; for instance,
>> in a gradient pattern it effectively just translates the pattern. No
>> radians nor degrees there.
>
> Well, I have a habit of thinking about it like this:
> http://mpec.sc.mahidol.ac.th/radok/physmath/MAT1/mor123.jpg
>
> So once it's "unrolled", then rotation in degrees becomes offset in translation.
>   pi radians would be 3.14.... scalar.
>
> Not sure if that's how it's handled by POV-Ray internally, but that should be
> easy to test and document the magnitude and direction of the shift.

If phase goes from 0 to 1...
With radial and frequency 1, it mean a full rotation
With radial and frequency 10, that's 1/10th of a rotation.
With onion or wood, it's a shift of 1 pattern period outward.
With gradient, it's like translating the pattern.
If you use bozo, granite, crackle or agate, things get a little strange.