POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Blurred reflection comparison : Re: Blurred reflection comparison Server Time
20 Apr 2024 12:15:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Blurred reflection comparison
From: Mike Horvath
Date: 12 Feb 2018 16:27:14
Message: <5a8206b2$1@news.povray.org>
On 2/12/2018 1:21 PM, clipka wrote:
> Am 12.02.2018 um 14:08 schrieb Mike Horvath:
>> I still don't understand how I'm supposed to achieve the blurred
>> reflections possible in UberPOV by just using a little focal blur.
>> Compare the two attached images - especially the reflections in the
>> circled parts.
>
> Focal blur is just part of the equation.
>
> You need:
>
> (1) A way to randomize the reflection. A `normal` statement with a very
> small scale does nicely.
>
> (2) A way to force POV-Ray to shoot a high number of rays per pixel
> where the randomized reflection is. A small bit of focal blur (with high
> quality settings) does nicely.
>
> Together this gives you nice blurred reflections at a (hopefully)
> reasonable speed.

Is this random normal good?

#declare BlurAmount = 0.2*2; // Amount of blurring, double BlurAmount
since it's used in an average
#macro BlurredReflectionRandNormals(InPigment, InFinish, InNormal)
//	texture
//	{
		#declare S = seed(0);
		pigment { InPigment }
		finish { InFinish }
		normal
		{
			average
			normal_map
			{
				[1 bumps BlurAmount translate <rand(S),rand(S),rand(S)>*100 scale 0.001]
				[1 InNormal]
			}
		}
//	}