POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Camera scaling and focal_blur? : Re: Camera scaling and focal_blur? Server Time
5 May 2024 14:30:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Camera scaling and focal_blur?
From: Mike Horvath
Date: 12 Feb 2018 01:06:07
Message: <5a812ecf$1@news.povray.org>
On 2/11/2018 11:11 PM, Kenneth wrote:
> "Kenneth" <kdw### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
>

>> Using your 'scale 2' camera, what it looks like is that the focal_blur's
>> focal_point of <0,0,0> (the focal 'plane')is actually shifting to <0,0,-5>. In
>> other words, it's keeping the same original 5-unit distance from the CAMERA--
>> not scaling to 2*5 = 10-units. That's what I see from a simple test, anyway.
>
> .... and changing the focal_point to <0,0,5> does indeed bring the focal plane
> back to the original <0,0,0>.
>
> Although, for a camera position that's not just <0,0,0> but something like
> <3,13,-9>, it appears that the interplay between scaled camera and 'new' focal
> plane gets much more complicated.
>
> But I tried something weird, which seems to work(!) ...
>
> The initial simple test:
> original camera position: <0,0,-5>
> original focal_point: <0,0,0>
>
> With scale 2:
> new camera position: <0,0,-10>
> new focal_point set to: <0,0,5>
>
> Now, with a more complicated camera position:
> original camera position: <3,13,-9>
> original focal point: <0,0,0>
>
> With scale 2:
> new camera position: <...? ...> (I'm too lazy to figure it out)
> new focal_point set to: <-13,-3,9>
>
> That appears to bring the original 'focal plane' of <0,0,0> back into sharp
> focus! (Although, that plane is always perpendicular or orthogonal(?) to the
> camera view.) The math for the new focal_point looks to be quite simple as well.

Thanks! That means:

     #local NewCameraFocalPoint = -1 * OldCameraLocation *
(NewCameraScale - 1);

But is this only true if the OldCameraFocalPoint is <0,0,0>? What
happens when the OldCameraFocalPoint is <5,20,-1>?

Would it be more intuitive if the focal point location automatically
scaled scaled with the camera position? E.g.

     #local NewCameraFocalPoint = OldCameraFocalPoint * NewCameraScale;

Mike