POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : #version directive : Re: #version directive Server Time
29 Apr 2024 15:57:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: #version directive
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 10 Feb 2018 03:23:16
Message: <5a7eabf4$1@news.povray.org>
On 10-2-2018 5:52, Kenneth wrote:
> 3) but: "... to use #version 3.71 [which is in green in the docs, meaning the
> #version directive in a scene] in a a main scene file that does not start with a
> #version directive", is the troublesome part. It kind of sounds 'circular' or
> not quite logical. But I think there are two ways of reading it:
>
>         A) An OLD scene file (one that didn't use a #version directive to begin
> with) would produce "an outright error" if #version 3.7.1 were added to it AND
> the scene were to be run in v3.7.1  (I'm actually still not sure if this
> intepretation is correct.)
>         B) Assuming that v3.7.1 (or later) *is* the currently running version,
> and the scene itself does have #version 3.7.1 in it, then the scene already HAS
> a #version directive-- definitely not a situation where the scene "does not
> start with a #version directive"(!)  In this intepretation of the sentence, it
> doesn't make much too much sense (and this is the way I generally read it,
> unfortunately... without some effort to second-guess its meaning).

I did a little test in version 3.7.1 as well as in UberPOV, with a scene
from 2000. With or without #version 3.71; (or #version unofficial patch
3.71;) as a first line, the scene renders with the following warning:

Parse warning: The scene finished parsing with a language version set to
3.1 or earlier. Full backward compatibility with scenes requiring
support for bugs in POV-Ray version 3.1 or earlier is not guaranteed.
Please use POV-Ray 3.5 or earlier if your scene depends on rendering
defects caused by these bugs.

Obviously, the resulting image has all kinds of defects but I wanted to
know if the scene would render at all. No fatal error, only a parse warning.

--
Thomas