POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : #version directive : Re: #version directive Server Time
29 Apr 2024 15:29:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: #version directive
From: clipka
Date: 8 Feb 2018 12:08:15
Message: <5a7c83ff$1@news.povray.org>
Am 08.02.2018 um 11:52 schrieb Kenneth:

> In other words, if I'm currently using a specific v3.7.1 beta, then
>
> #version version
> is basically a 'shorthand' way of specifying
>
> #version 3.71;
>
> ?

Exactly.

> "...and a CHANGE as of POV-Ray 3.7.1 or later it is now considered an outright
> error to use #version 3.71 or higher in a main scene file that does not start
> with a #version directive."
>
> Maybe it's just me, but that sounds confusing. "#version 3.71" is in GREEN there
> (like the other keywords used in those paragraphs), but is it meant to be? I'm
> wondering if the sentence is actually trying to say something like this:
>
> "...and a CHANGE as of POV-Ray 3.7.1 or later it is now considered an outright
> error to run a scene file in v3.7.1 or higher that does not start with a
> #version directive."  ??

No. It literally means what it says.

You can also put it this way:

As of POV-Ray 3.7.1 or later, starting a scene file with anything other
than a `#version` statement is considered an outright error.

For backward compatibility, exceptions are made for scenes that do not
contain any `#version` directive in the main scene file at all, or where
all `#version` directives in the main scene file specify values lower
than 3.71.

For technical reasons, the error is raised at the first occurrence of a
`#version` directive with a value of 3.71 or higher in the main scene file.

> And continuing... (the forward slashes are mine):
> "If you do need to do some processing /before you decide/ on a version
> compatibility option, start your scene with the following construct:
>   #version version;
>
> That could possibly be interpreted as meaning a 'real' #version number needs to
> be added later in the scene.

That would be a misinterpretation.