POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : SSLT not working so well : Re: SSLT not working so well Server Time
30 Apr 2024 01:34:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: SSLT not working so well
From: clipka
Date: 6 Feb 2018 04:40:22
Message: <5a797806$1@news.povray.org>
Am 05.02.2018 um 21:31 schrieb Mike Horvath:
> Can anyone diagnose the cause of all the dirty marks on the materials?
> Lowering the translucency helped a lot, but I don't know if that's the
> actual cure or something else. Thanks.

Due to its inner workings, SSLT /per se/ is prone to high-frequency
noise, that may sometimes exhibit a pattern. However, what I see in the
image appears block-ish (on the wide red wall) or blotch-ish (left sides
of the pieces making up the "DFC." writing), which strongly points
towards radiosity as the culprit.

Using more pretrace steps will probably help. Also, make sure to use
"always_sample off" (the default as of v3.7).

As for SSLT, at the size you're rendering, I doubt that subsurface
scattering will make much of a difference. Most LEGO bricks are not very
translucent. The lighting situation (comparatively strong diffuse
illumination from all sides, very few shadows visible) is also a
situation where SSLT would have little prominent effect.