POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Question about media_attenuation behavior. : Re: Question about media_attenuation behavior. Server Time
29 Apr 2024 00:44:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Question about media_attenuation behavior.
From: William F Pokorny
Date: 23 Jan 2018 12:23:57
Message: <5a676fad$1@news.povray.org>
On 01/23/2018 03:32 AM, Thomas de Groot wrote:
> Question: The Docs are silent about this, but do fade_distance and
> fade_power have to be added to the light source or not, in order for the
> media attenuation to work?
>
> http://wiki.povray.org/content/Reference:Light_Source#Atmospheric_Attenuation

By experimentation just now it looks like no. If you have a fade power /
fade_distance it will of course affect media results apart from or in
addition to any media_attenuation.

Aside: In running these recent tests I wanted the media on black so I
could better see any attenuation in addition to noting the run time
changes when media_attenuation is on. I forgot global media needs a
terminating shape on which the ray stops & my media disappeared causing
me a spot of confusion until I thought to put the background box back
into the scene but colored black.

Bill P.