POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Procedural realistic mountain ranges? : Re: Procedural realistic mountain ranges? Server Time
3 May 2024 00:36:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Procedural realistic mountain ranges?
From: clipka
Date: 30 Dec 2017 07:35:40
Message: <5a47881c$1@news.povray.org>
Am 30.12.2017 um 02:21 schrieb Jörg 'Yadgar' Bleimann:
>> Absolutely. Everything you can use in a pigment, eval_pigment() will
>> handle correctly - for technically feasible definitions of "correctly".
>
> Obviously not, at least not with POV-Ray for Windows... I used a 16-bit
> PNG generated with Wilbur to be parsed to a spherical mesh2 with this
> script:

https://youtu.be/tc2tDFPlyWY?t=1h51m5s

/Some/ day I'll teach you folks to specify the version number when
reporting an issue ;)

> It seemed to parse correctly - but POV-Ray crashed immediately
> afterwards, regardless how big or small values I used for xx and yy. I
> didn't try yet whether it still produced a valid mesh2 - but I don't
> think so.

If the scene parses, it's not an issue with `eval_pigment()`, as that's
called during parsing. Rather, the /scene/ created must have some
problematic properties.

Also, that's a TGA file you're using there, not PNG ;)

To further diagnose the issue, I'd probably need a copy of the image.