POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Procedural realistic mountain ranges? : Re: Procedural realistic mountain ranges? Server Time
26 Apr 2024 01:11:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Procedural realistic mountain ranges?
From: Jörg 'Yadgar' Bleimann
Date: 28 Dec 2017 08:23:41
Message: <5a44f05d$1@news.povray.org>
Hi(gh)!

Am 28.12.2017 um 08:55 schrieb Thomas de Groot:

> A long time dream indeed. Third party programs approach that dream;
> alas, the better ones are not free.
>
> I own GeoControl, which has been succeeded by World Creator from the
> same makers. As far as I know, it is one of the best programs for a
> reasonable price. http://www.bitethebytes.net/bitethebytes/

Does World Creator export to 16-bit PNG as used with POV-Ray? As I need
to build VERY large heightfields (to be wrapped around spheres as meshes
afterwards), I would need the Professional Edition - which at 289$, at
least for the moment, is out of reach for me.

> L3DT is another one - which I never tried - but with a free version.
> http://www.bundysoft.com/L3DT/downloads/standard.php

Sounds very promising, but again only with the Professional version -
which, on the other hand, at 34.95$ for the "Indie" license is
affordable to me. But I never ordered anything from the US - there maybe
a couple of pitfalls... I remember having ordered two organ player's
textbooks from Switzerland (a non-euro country), which were priced at 5
SFR each one (about 7 euros back then), but including shipping and
exchange fees, it ended up at a whopping 22 euros...

> And then there are:
> http://planetgenesis.sourceforge.net/ (free)

I will give it a try... just downloaded it! The planet on the web page
did not look very realistic (when it comes to height distribution)...
but at least it exports explicitly to POV-Ray and uses 16-bit PNG
grayscale images!

> http://www.daylongraphics.com/ (not free)

Also not too expensive... and it works with POV-Ray!

> http://www.cyberfunks.de/page/terrabrush/index.htm (free)

Perhaps also worth a try...

> http://planetside.co.uk/ (free)

Terragen! An old friend, which I used already back in 1999 and which in
fact was the basis for my very first animations!

And the version 4 looks almost like a system usable for Khyberspace on
its own... at least with its commercial sub-versions, which of course
are exceptionally high-priced but probably worth it all!

But even the free version is VERY promising! I just downloaded it...

> http://www.fracterra.com/wilbur.html (free)

Amazing! Almost perfect... or purrfect, as an ailurophile like me would
put it! I've not only downloaded it, I already started to play around
with it! However, the POV-Ray 16-bit TGA export turned out to be faulty,
but that's no big issue, as it also exports to 16-bit PNG!

> http://www.world-machine.com/index.php (not free)

I did not try this yet, as I probably will be occupied with Wilbur for
the next weeks!

Thank you very, very much, Thomas!

See you in Khyberspace!

Yadgar