POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : The question about of projected through option : Re: The question about of projected through option Server Time
29 Apr 2024 00:40:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The question about of projected through option
From: Alain
Date: 20 Dec 2017 18:54:16
Message: <5a3af828$1@news.povray.org>
Le 17-12-19 à 17:37, Stephen a écrit :
> On 19/12/2017 21:38, Alain wrote:
>> Le 17-12-18 à 22:12, Masaki  a écrit :
>>> Thanks for the reply.
>>> I have some new questions.

>>> (1) Does it mean that I can not see the light from the outside of the
>>> prism when
>>> there is a light source in the prism which is transparent object?
>>
>> I think that he miss the transparency.
>
> I did.
>

>> As your prism is transparent, light will shine through.
>>

>>> (2) In pov-ray, is it possible for the camera to visualize the direct
>>> light from
>>> the source?
>>
>> Never ever.
>> The light_source is an abstraction that have no tangible existence. It
>> just illuminate things. For a light_source to be visible, you need to
>> associate it with some object, usually by the use of looks_like{...}
>> It can also be achieved using an union that include the light.
>
> There is always the "Looks_like" in the camera statement.

Not in the camera but in the light_source.

light_source{
  <100, 100, 75> rgb 1
  area_light 0.5*x 0.5*y 17 17 circular orient adaptive 0
  looks_like{sphere{0 1 pigment{rgb 1}finish{emission 1 diffuse 0}}}
}

It should be noted that the location of the looks_like object is
relative to the light's location.

The other option is an union:

union{
  light_source{
    0 rgb 1
    area_light 0.5*x 0.5*y 17 17 circular orient adaptive 0
   }
  sphere{0 1  pigment{rgb 1}finish{emission 1 diffuse 0} no_shadow}
  translate <100, 100, 75>
  }