POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : The question about of projected through option : Re: The question about of projected through option Server Time
25 Apr 2024 22:56:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The question about of projected through option
From: clipka
Date: 15 Dec 2017 11:05:05
Message: <5a33f2b1$1@news.povray.org>
Am 15.12.2017 um 16:40 schrieb Stephen:
> On 15/12/2017 15:08, William F Pokorny wrote:
>> I know of no built in way to strictly get a conical light source where
>> all the rays are at 45 degrees relative to some light source axis.
>
> I thought you could but I can't get it to work.

It's not possible to limit the light source to rays at /exactly/ 45
degrees, as that would be an infinitesimally thin cone, and the
raytracing algorithm wouldn't catch any of the light (except by mere
coincidence).

To limit the light to, say, between 40 to 50 degrees, you could create a
spotlight with a 50 degree angle, and another spotlight with a 40 degree
angle and /negative/ brightness.

However, using a point light and a torus as a `projected_through` object
/should/ also work in principle.