POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : "In The Mood" ... : Re: "In The Mood" ... Server Time
3 May 2024 06:33:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: "In The Mood" ...
From: Alain
Date: 13 Dec 2017 12:03:04
Message: <5a315d48$1@news.povray.org>

> Ive <ive### [at] lilysoftorg> wrote:
>> ... or "From Delft To Hong Kong"
>> ... or "Another Girl With Earrings"
>>

>> I've tried to capture the mood and lighting of the early Wong Kar-wai
>> movies (and his brilliant cinematographer Christopher Doyle) multiple
>> times in the past - but without much success.
>>
>> So here is another complete failure. I still can't get this Wong Kar-wai
>> feeling right. His combination of over-saturated but still smooth colors
>> - somehow sharp but soft at the same time is still outside of my reach.
>> I'll try again in a few years.
>>
>> And no, the girl is not meant to be a portrait of the young Maggie
>> Cheung - I was tempted to try that but somehow did feel it wouldn't be
>> appropriate.
>>
>> In case you are not just looking at HER, you might also recognize the
>> Chinese interior from my TC-RTC entry "Praise Of Shadows" made a long
>> time ago.
>>
>> -Ive
>
> It's aaaaawesome, Skin is soft to the eye, both background vase shaders are pure
> madness ; ear jewels with a slightly mystical
> blur create life !
>

> but let's be even more demanding so that it can get a slight notch better if
> still possible?
>
> *did you use any SSLT (subsurface scattering on the skin? it does need a subtle
> one. (but maybe more lateral/less frontal lighting would reveal it)
>
> *The hair is slightly too thin or transparent. (but its color is soooo subtle
> and perfect)
>
> *eyebrow a little blurry could look crisper with a couple of well placed real
> hair strands
I can see individual strands...

> angle, this avoids any squinting, however the place where she's looking at hides
> this problem pretty well.
>
> *The back window doesn't seem to provide any backlighting to the girl, this is
> odd nor does its frames detail reveal weheras it seems to have a lot (maybe more
> radiosity  bounce from the room would help) in the same go this could correct
> the next issue:
There is no sun shining through that window. It's a frosted glass window
showing the garden behind.

> *While left background plant is perfectly lit, the one at the right would
> deserve the same treatment.
That would be unrealistic. The plant on the left is directly illuminated
by the light coming from the window. The one on the right is not.

> *the eyes reflection is incredible, but it should continue slightly with a
> chamfer modeling the wetness over eyelid's corner angle in its length.
>
> *the girls top clothing is about to be History lever shader! ...but, something
> is off, it looks a little greasy so I would say that maybe it's specularity is
> too rough (widespread, not tight enough) It might benefit some kind of "oren
> nayar sigma" to lighten up slightly along normal slope. Also the yellow knot
> specularity looks too plastic-like.
A quick look at the stitching tells me it's leather, probably painted
leather. That kind of finish is expected in this case.