POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Illegal escape sequence in string? : Re: Illegal escape sequence in string? Server Time
26 Apr 2024 00:43:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Illegal escape sequence in string?
From: clipka
Date: 4 Dec 2017 01:34:05
Message: <5a24ec5d$1@news.povray.org>
Am 04.12.2017 um 06:17 schrieb Sven Littkowski:
> On 03.12.2017 21:24, Bald Eagle wrote:
>> use forward slashes for filenames.
>> I'd also strongly advise using more parser-friendly filenames - the dashes and
>> spaces seem a bit iffy to me.
>
> Yes, your suggestion that slashes must be forward did actually solve my
> little problem. Isn't it strange - I use POV-Ray since around 1989 or
> 1992, but nevertimes really much, and so I have still today all these
> little problems and misunderstandings. After 28 years...

As a matter of fact, POV-Ray for Windows can deal with both notations --
backslashes or forward slashes -- but the backslash happens to have a
special meaning in POV-Ray string literals, in that it changes the
meaning of the next character(s); for example:

    \n    new line
    \t    tab character
    \"    double quote character
    \\    backslash character

This is referred to as "escape sequences". There are more, but these are
the ones I recall off the top of my head.

The reason you never encountered this before might be because in version
v3.6 and earlier there were /some/ (poorly documented) cases where the
backslash character wasn't given any special treatment (except for
constituting a path separator character in Windows), and yours would
have been one of them.