POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : using comments: a visual problem in the editor window : Re: using comments: a visual problem in the editor window Server Time
23 Apr 2024 16:00:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: using comments: a visual problem in the editor window
From: clipka
Date: 30 Nov 2017 15:12:28
Message: <5a20662c$1@news.povray.org>
Am 30.11.2017 um 18:52 schrieb jr:
> hi,
>
> wrt nested comments
>
> On 30/11/2017 15:52, clipka wrote:
>> Since we want to get rid of that 3rd party component anyway, I don't
>> think we will do anything about this issue (except possibly re-define
>> the POV-Ray SDL itself, as I suspect the nested block comments may be an
>> issue with other syntax-highlighting editors as well).
>
> perhaps the SDL could get a (multi line) #comment ... #end construct?  I
> think that would make commented-out comments (if support continues) easy
> to use and see, and "look" tidy.

I presume you would use `#comment ... #end` to temporarily disable code.[*]

We can already use `#if(0) ... #end` for that purpose, which has pretty
much the same semantics as a `#comment ... #end` would presumably have.

([*] Introducing a new `#comment ... #end` block comment syntax for
actual comments, just to facilitate co-opting the already-existing `/*
... */` block comment syntax for purposes it wasn't originally designed
for, would be perverting things, IMO.)