POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : using comments: a visual problem in the editor window : Re: using comments: a visual problem in the editor window Server Time
19 Apr 2024 03:08:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: using comments: a visual problem in the editor window
From: clipka
Date: 30 Nov 2017 10:52:32
Message: <5a202940$1@news.povray.org>
Am 30.11.2017 um 13:42 schrieb Kenneth:

> In Windows at least, POV-Ray's multiple-line comment indicators show a purely
> visual problem in the editor window, when they are nested: Some of the
> 'contained' text looks to be commented-out, but some doesn't (although
> apparently this doesn't affect the rendering of a scene, even though the scene's
> text 'looks' like there's a syntax mistake somewhere.) This assumes that you've
> set up POV-Ray to show different colors for different kinds of SDL text entries,
> like I have. (For example, all comments in a particular exclusive color.)

This is a known issue.

In the POV-Ray SDL, block comments extend from the initial `/*` to the
/matching/ `*/`, allowing them to be nested (which is handy if you want
to comment-out part of your scene but that part already contains block
comments).

This differs from most other programming languages, where a block
comment extends only to the /next/ matching end token, and can not be
nested.

The editor component used in POV-Ray for Windows (which is also
responsible for the syntax highlighting) is a 3rd party component, which
was not specifically designed to cater to the peculiarities of POV-Ray's
SDL, so I suspect it would be difficult to coax its syntax highlighting
into colouring POV-Ray SDL block comments properly.

Since we want to get rid of that 3rd party component anyway, I don't
think we will do anything about this issue (except possibly re-define
the POV-Ray SDL itself, as I suspect the nested block comments may be an
issue with other syntax-highlighting editors as well).